Bloomfield Blossoms: p. 020-021 Creator
Smith, Kay, 1925- Institution
Bloomfield Township Public Library Subject
Cranbrook (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) Subject
Bloomfield Township (Mich.) Subject
Triton Fountain Item Number
part of 'Bloomfield Blossoms' by Kay Smith Type
text, image Format
A RENOWNED PUBLISHER AND A DREAM CALLED CRANBROOK
No history of this area could be conceived without a
discussion early on of Cranbrook, the outstanding contribution of the Booth family to all that the name Bloomfield Hills means around the world. People in many places know our area only through the pictures they've seen of Cranbrook.
Its six institutions are a symbol of private collections and
ideas put in the public domain in four areas including art,
science, education and the practice of religious tenets.
George and Ellen Booth purchased the 300 acres which is
now Cranbrook in 1904, having come out for a picnic.
With deep enthusiasm and care they laid out their plans
for its development and even set up a foundation so their
dream could become reality even if they didn't live to see
it. It's heartening to know that both lived to be 84 and
saw the whole development come to fruition with Christ
Church, the Art Academy and Art Museum, the Science
Institute and the three private schools, Brookside,
Cranbrook and Kingswood.
More on the glories of Cranbrook later.