the making of modern michigan

Browse Collections
Browse by subject
Browse by institution
participating libraries project background
Bloomfield Blossoms: p. 088-089
Smith, Kay, 1925-

Bloomfield Township Public Library

Vaughan-Vernor House (Bloomfield Township, Mich.)

Bloomfield Township (Mich.)

Vaughan family

Item Number

part of 'Bloomfield Blossoms' by Kay Smith

text, image


ANOTHER FOUNDING FAMILY - VAUGHANS AND WICKHAMS John and Polly Vaughan bought land from the government beginning in 1824, the forerunner of many hundreds of acres the Vaughan family would own in Bloomfield. They had ten children, three sons and seven daughters, and on John's death in 1833 the sons, Richard, Andrew and Abraham, inherited the property with the exception of bequests of eight acres each to the seven daughters, who also were to recieve $100 each on reaching the age of 21. Abraham went to California in the gold rush of 1848, but returned in the early 1850s and acquired more land. Of his four sons and one daughter, most continued to live in this area. His son Clark was the father of Perry Vaughan, who was Township supervisor from 1931 to 1950. Perry's daughter, Mrs. John B. Hammond, lives in Bloomfield Hills. Caty Ann, Polly and John's oldest daughter, married Calvin Wickham, who, while not a founder, bought land in the early 1850s, and his line is therefore also a Centennial family. Their great-great grandaughter is Mrs. Harold R. Roehm, who lives in the Township on the same eight acres Caty Ann Vaughan Wickham inherited in 1833. Many other Vaughan descendents still live in the Bloomfield area.

Bloomfield Blossoms:  p. 088-089 part 1 Bloomfield Blossoms:  p. 088-089 part 2

The Making of Modern Michigan was funded by the Institute for Museum and Library Services, an independent federal agency that supports the nation's museums and libraries. Through agreement, this site is hosted by the MSU Libraries and therefore is subject to its privacy statement. Please feel free to send any comments regarding this site to