Bloomfield Blossoms: p. 100-101 Creator
Smith, Kay, 1925- Institution
Bloomfield Township Public Library Subject
Schools -- Michigan -- Bloomfield Township -- History Subject
Bloomfield Township (Mich.) Subject
Wing Lake School (Bloomfield Township, Mich.) Item Number
part of 'Bloomfield Blossoms' by Kay Smith Type
text, image Format
The first school in Bloomfield was a private one. It was
begun in 1822 in a log house on the property of Dr. Ziba
Swan near where Woodward crosses Quarton today. The
first teacher was Captain Hervey Parke, who'd followed that
profession when he lived in Camden, Oneida County,
He taught from December 1, 1822 to February of 1823
when he turned over the teaching to his brother, Dr. Ezra
Parke. A few years later, a second school opened on the
other side of the Township on the property of Jacob Sly
on the southwestern side of Wing Lake. This school later
was the site of the organization of the first Presbyterian
church chartered in Bloomfield.
Other little schools were in operation but all were by
subscription until 1833, when on April 13 an act of the
legislature made it mandatory for Townships to provide
The first free district school was opened in 1834 in the old
log house on John Hamilton's property, and the Rev.
Lemuel Partridge was the first teacher.
Of the later period, we have portions of two early schools
left. One is the Tucscarora School which stood near Hickory
Grove and Telegraph Roads and is now incorporated in an
office building, and one on Woodward near Long Lake,
also now a business office. Of this school just the bell
remains with a plaque on the side of the building
commemorating Circle School.
The oldest intact school in the Township is the Wing Lake
School, built in 1859.
As a Bicentennial project, the Bloomfield Hills School
District and Bloomfield Township joined forces to recon-
struct the school in the 1890-1910 era for use as a museum
and library. The school is now in use for groups who want
to see how school was taught long ago.