Bloomfield Blossoms: p. 122-123 Creator
Smith, Kay, 1925- Institution
Bloomfield Township Public Library Subject
Bagley, Amasa Subject
Bagley's Corners (Bloomfield Township, Mich.) Subject
County courts -- Michigan -- Oakland County (Mich.) Item Number
part of 'Bloomfield Blossoms' by Kay Smith Type
text, image Format
THE BAGLEY TAVERN--IT RANG WITH GOOD TIMES
Amasa Bagley was a very early Michigan pioneer, coming
to the Territory by sleigh in the winter of 1817-18. He first
bought land and planted crops south of Bloomfield, but
in the summer of 1819 he resettled here and sent for
his wife and five little daughters, as well as an older
daughter and son-in-Iaw, the William Morrises. They
bought a large tract of land south of what is now Long
Lake Road and east and west of the Saginaw Trail,
and put up their log house.
Some time later, probably about 1832 or 33, it was replaced
with a frame house of several rooms, and turned into a
tavern. It became quite popular both for parties and for
local government meetings. The annual Township meeting
was held there in 1835, 36 and 37. The tavern gave the
area its first name, "Bagley's Corners."
At the first meeting of the Oakland County Court on July
17, 1820, Amasa Bagley was named as associate judge
of the court, remaining in this position until statehood, and
continuing in the same capacity for the rest of his life.
William Morris was named sheriff at the same meeting.
Judge Bagley, a bit of a wag, commented on his judgeship,
inasmuch as he was in no sense a lawyer but a farmer,
businessman and tavern-keeper that he guessed "judge-
timber" was scarce in these parts.
He and Morris went into several ventures such as
setting up a brickworks, a gristmill and a sawmill, but
they're mostly known for Bagley's Tavern.
The Tavern still exists and in this Bicentennial Year was
designated the first Historical Site in Bloomfield Hills.