the making of modern michigan

Browse Collections
Browse by subject
Browse by institution
participating libraries project background
Bloomfield Blossoms: p. 126-127
Smith, Kay, 1925-

Bloomfield Township Public Library

Bloomfield Hills Country Club (Michigan) -- History

Bloomfield Open Hunt Club (Michigan) -- History

Village Club (Bloomfield Township, Mich.) -- History

Item Number

part of 'Bloomfield Blossoms' by Kay Smith

text, image


BLOOMFILD HILLS' CLUBS The first golf and country club in the area north of Detroit was Bloomfield Hills Country Club. It was organized in 1909 by some of the most influential men of Detroit industry and included almost every resident of Bloomfield Hills' estates of that time. Colonel Edwin S. George, who was a charter member of every great club in Bloomfield was a founder, as were William T. Barbour, George G. Booth, John C. Donnelly, John T. Shaw and Charles Stinchfield. The clubhouse was designed by an early member, Albert Kahn, and built in 1912. While golf was its prime purpose, the new sport of "automobiling" was also very popular , which might be expected with members like Henry Ford of Ford and Roy D. Chapin of the Hudson Motor Car Company. An interesting feature of the organization meeting was the motion to remove the cemetery on the grounds of the club to Greenwood Cemetery in Birmingham. Older residents whisper that the headstones were removed, but the actual graves are covered by greens and tees and there are a lot of very silent partners to the golfing group. The Bloomfield Open Hunt was organized by a group of avid horsemen on March 30, 1917. The first clubhouse was a small white frame building, probably the residence of Asa and Lemuel Castle in the 1830s. Its many additions now include a large indoor horse ring, dining rooms and clubrooms. The Detroit Horse Show has been held there for many years. It was called the Village Woman's Club originally but today the Village Club stands for a great deal more in Bloomfield Hills. The club began in Birmingham and expanded until it was large enough to buy the estate of Charles Winningham on Long Lake Road. The word "Woman's" was dropped from the title when it became apparent that men also enjoyed what the club offers in terms of parties and classes.

Bloomfield Blossoms:  p. 126-127 part 1 Bloomfield Blossoms:  p. 126-127 part 2

The Making of Modern Michigan was funded by the Institute for Museum and Library Services, an independent federal agency that supports the nation's museums and libraries. Through agreement, this site is hosted by the MSU Libraries and therefore is subject to its privacy statement. Please feel free to send any comments regarding this site to