Henry Griffin became Ottawa County's second Sheriff from 1844 to 1850. His jurisdiction covered the area along Lake Michigan all the way to Mackinaw. In 1849 he went into merchandising, building the first store building in the Grand Haven, located on the northwest corner of Washington and First Streets, where the Grand River Times was printed upstairs. He was chosen Grand Havenâ€™s first Superintendent of Schools in 1851. In 1862 Henry became School Inspector for the new Grand Haven Union High School, in 1852 he was named Treasurer of Ottawa County, and in 1871 he was elected Mayor of Grand Haven and representative to the State Legislature.