Elizabeth Hofma was certified to be an elementary teacher in 1882 in the Spring Lake School system. In 1891 she graduated from Northwestern University Medical School. After working as assistant to the Chair of Gynecology at Northwestern, she returned to Grand Haven in 1893 and became the areaâ€™s first female doctor. The Hofmas, especially Elizabeth, were active in civic affairs and contributed to community improvement urging development of parks, tree lined streets, pure water, and sewerage systems. She was instrumental in establishing a Carnegie Library in Grand Haven and served on its board from 1913-1933. In 1917, she served as First Director of the newly-chartered Ottawa County Chapter of the American Red Cross.