Bloomfield Blossoms: p. 130-131 Creator
Smith, Kay, 1925- Institution
Bloomfield Township Public Library Subject
Churches -- Michigan -- Bloomfield Township Subject
Christ Church, Cranbrook (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) Subject
Bloomfield Hills, Mich. Item Number
part of 'Bloomfield Blossoms' by Kay Smith Type
text, image Format
THE HILLS' CHURCHES
There is more land in Bloomfield Hills dedicated to houses
of worship than there is commercial or office land put
There are six churches within the city limits, representing
a number of denominations. Christ Church, Cranbrook, is
the major Episcopal church of the area; St. Hugo's the
Roman Catholic; The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter
Day Saints, the Mormon; and both the Congregational
Church and the Unitarian Church have built edifices along
Woodward Avenue. A new church, The Bloomfield Hills
Christian Church, is now planning to build in the Hills also.
Christ Church, Cranbrook, began in a tent, moved to the
Meeting House and in July of 1925 ground was broken
for the present beautiful house of worship. On Easter
Sunday of 1926 the first service was held in St. Dunstan's
chapel, the largest of the three chapels within the church.
It was named for a tenth century archbishop of Canterbury,
who, it's said "tweaked the devil's nose." Crafstmen from
England and America worked on the church and there are
art works from every century from the 11th on, and the
work is crowned with a 32-bell carillon. Christ Church
was completed in 1928.
The Unitarian Church was designed by Minoru Yamasaki
and built in 1958. The Mormon Church nearby was
designed on specifications from the church headquarters in
Salt Lake City. St. Hugo's, a Norman Gothic building on
Opdyke, is located on "Stonycroft," the estate of Mr. and
Mrs. Theodore F. MacManus, who built the church in
memory of their deceased sons, Hugo and Hubert. All
four and a son-in-law are interred in a crypt in the church.
It was dedicated in June of 1936.