Bloomfield Blossoms: p. 138-139 Creator
Smith, Kay, 1925- Institution
Bloomfield Township Public Library Subject
Bloomfield Hills (Mich.) -- Politics and government -- History Subject
Public buildings -- Michigan -- Bloomfield Hills Subject
NULL Item Number
part of 'Bloomfield Blossoms' by Kay Smith Type
text, image Format
BLOOMFIELD HILLS GOVERNMENT AND CITY HALL
In 1926, the area of Bloomfield Hills had outgrown its first
two names, "Bagley's Corners" and "Circle City," but it was
still part of Bloomfield Township and consisted almost
entirely of large estates.
In that year, its 1,100 citizens met in September and
organized a charter commission, electing home rule over
general law in order to manage their own destiny. Voters in 1927 approved the incorporation of the Hills as a village,
elected Luther Allen president and drew up a board of
They surrounded the village with stiff ordinances regulating
zoning, and soon realized they could qualify as a city. In
order to keep from being incorporated into the then-
forming City of Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills electors
voted for cityhood in 1932, a year before Birmingham.
In a settlement with the Township, they kept the hall which
had been built in 1926 as a general maintenance and
highway department unit, with one small office for
Township affairs. The Township moved out and the city
This Bicentennial year the building is being renovated
completely, following minor alterations over the years.
The city commissioners hope to dedicate it before the end
of 1976. John W. Fauver is the present mayor, Robert D.
Gargaro, mayor pro tem, and commissioners are Joseph
Daiek, Stephen J. Carey and William R. Shaw. Robert J.
Stadler is the city manager.