Bloomfield Blossoms: p. 148-149 Creator
Smith, Kay, 1925- Institution
Bloomfield Township Public Library Subject
Churches -- Michigan -- Bloomfield Township -- History Subject
Bloomfield Township (Mich.) -- Religious life Subject
NULL Item Number
part of 'Bloomfield Blossoms' by Kay Smith Type
text, image Format
THE STAUNCHLY RELIGIOUS COMMUNITY
OF "PIETY HILL"
The name "Piety Hill," bestowed on Birmingham in its
infancy, smacks of derision. Perhaps the fact that there
were three competing taverns and three competing
religions in the early days had something to do with it.
Each of our pioneer families brought with them seeds
from farm and garden, and seeds of their deep religious
The history of organized worship here started with the
preaching of an itinerant Methodist minister in Willits'
tavern in 1821. Dr. Ezra Parke, also a Methodist, began
conducting services in his house as early as 1823, with
his wife, who had a beautiful singing voice, assisting.
The Methodists were the first to have a charter, in 1827,
and the first to erect a church building in 1839.
The Presbyterians also got an early start. Deacon Elijah
Fish, across the Saginaw Trail from Dr. Parke, held a
three-day meeting in his barn in July of 1834 and "The
Presbyterian Society of Bloomfield" was organized
December 17, 1835, at the Davis Hotel in Birmingham.
Meetings were often held there although the Presbyterians
later rented the facilities of the Methodist church for
$100 a year.
On the other side of the Township Deacon Elijah Bull
held a meeting of Presbyterians 1n his barn on June 4th,
1831. His church was chartered that year and flourished in
the Wing Lake area until his death August 9, 1871.
"The Regular Baptist Church of Bloomfield" was recognized
by act of ecceliastical council May 25, 1833. Over the
next century the church went through many changes
and incorporations, and today is a strong denomination