Bloomfield Blossoms: p. 156-157 Creator
Smith, Kay, 1925- Institution
Bloomfield Township Public Library Subject
Bloomfield Township (Mich.) -- Politics and government -- History Subject
48th District Court (Oakland County, Mich.) Subject
NULL Item Number
part of 'Bloomfield Blossoms' by Kay Smith Type
text, image Format
THE FIRST OAKLAND COUNTRY PROBATE COURT
MET IN BLOOMFIELD
When in 1880 Mrs. Nancy G. Davis read a paper before the
Oakland County Pioneer Society, she mentioned the house
of Colonel David Stanard as the oldest she could
remember which was still standing.
Colonel Stanard had purchased his 200 acres on July 3,
1820, in section 4 which is the area where the Miracle Mile
Shopping Center is now located. Mrs. Davis' father, Judge
Amasa Bagley, had bought his land now on Woodward
Avenue between Lone Pine and Long Lake roads.
Colonel Stanard's house, described as the earliest, must
have been built soon after the Pontiac Sawmill was
operable. In any case, the first county court was held in
Pontiac on July 17, 1820, and so many of the names of
Bloomfield's pioneers dot the register we can't dispute the
influence of this Township on early county affairs. Amasa
Bagley and Daniel Bronson were appointed associate
judges with Pontiac resident William Thompson who was
chief justice and later judge of probate. William Morris was
named sheriff and Sidney Dole clerk. On the grand jury sat
Elijah Willits, Ziba Swan, John Hamilton, Elisha Hunter,
Erza Baldwin, Asa Castle, Elijah S. Fish and Harry 0.
Bronson. Ziba Swan and Jonathan Perrin were named
county commissioners as well.
The first probate court met at Colonel Stanard's house on
June 15, 1822, and the first order of business was letters
of administration upon the estate of Eliphalet Harding.
Today the 48th District Court which serves seven districts
in Oakland County, has its base in the Township on
Telegraph Road just south of Square Lake Road. Present
judges are Gus Cifelli, Alice Gilbert and Carl Ingraham.