William H. Loutit Residence Creator
Loutit District Library Subject
Loutit, William H., 1866-1948 Subject
Dwellings -- Michigan -- Grand Haven Subject
Historic buildings -- Michigan -- Grand Haven Item Number
The home of Great Lakes sea captain William R. Loutit was built at the northwest corner of Washington and Fourth Streets in 1894. Architect W. A. Nethercot of Austin, Illinois, designed it along the lines of the A. J. Ward home in Flint. It was three stories high, with large rooms, high ceilings, multiple fireplaces, a ballroom, game room, and living quarters for the servants. The house was carpeted throughout. The Loutits had been living with the captainâ€™s in-laws, Robert and Elizabeth Howlett, at 704 Pennoyer. Captain Loutit vacated the home in 1915 when he built the â€œScots Cottageâ€ next door and his son, William H. Loutit, moved into the family home from 114 South Fifth. William H. lived here until his death in 1948. His son, named William R. Loutit in honor of his grandfather, lived in the house a short time before moving to the Savidge home in Spring Lake. Del Schuiteman bought the home to house the Grand Haven Real Estate office and as his residence. He sold the property to the Sun Oil Company, who tore it down around 1959 to make room for a Sunoco Gas Station. -- Wallace K. Ewing, PhD. from A Directory of Buildings and Sites in Northwest Ottawa County, Copyright 1999.