Photograph of first State Capitol building in Lansing. A capitol was built 1823-1828 in Detroit and last used by the State Legislature in 1848. This first State Capitol in Lansing was built in 1847 at a cost of $25,952. An addition of 16 feet was made in 1865. State offices were removed to the present capitol in 1879. Destroyed by fire December 16, 1882. It was located in the block where the old Masonic Temple is located, now used by Cooley Law School. The Senate Chamber was in the South (left) end and, in the north, the House of Representatives.