View of Quinnesec's business district Institution
Dickinson County Library Subject
Cities and towns -- Michigan -- Upper Peninsula Item Number
Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3 Description
Photograph of Quinnesec's business district taken at Pine Street, looking north, on Quinnesec Avenue. Buell's Opera House, the two-story brick building at the right, was located at the northeast corner of Quinnesec Avenue and Paint Street (now U.S. 2). All of the buildings south of Paint Street burned in the fire of May 18, 1906. Buildings pictured which burned in the fire located on the left were Thomas McKenna's saloon, James Malone's saloon, John Marsch's livery stable, Mrs. P. Smith's home, Mrs. Patrick McKenna's store and saloon, a store belonging to the estate of Mrs. John McKenna, Charles Paquette's barbershop and J.H. McKenna's store. On the right were two stores owned by Mrs. John St. Denis, John Crane's vacant saloon, Matt Bryngelson's vacant saloons, the Wright Brothers' vacant store and two vacant lots at the corner.