Quinnesec's Cundy Mine Institution
Dickinson County Library Subject
Mines and mineral resources Subject
Mine shafts Subject
Portraits, Group Item Number
Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3 Description
Photograph of Quinnesec's Cundy Mine, which opened in 1896. Some of the miners are standing on either the top of a skip, the top of a hoisting mechanism or a makeshift skip in preparation to descend underground. Note the sunshine lamps, which burned a paraffin-like substance for illumination.