Quinnesec's Garfield School Institution
Dickinson County Library Subject
School buildings Subject
Portraits, Group Item Number
Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3 Description
Photograph of Quinnesec's Garfield School, which formally opened December 23, 1897, replacing the Pioneer School which could no longer be used due to its proximity to the Cundy Mine. This two-story building was located where the Breitung Township Hall now stands. When the school opened, classes from kindergarten through eighth grade were taught. Those desiring a high school education had to go to Iron Mountain.