The Fanny M. Rose was built by the Grand Haven Shipbuilding Company and began service in 1893. She was built for passenger and freight service between Grand Haven, Spring Lake and Fruitport. She made four trips a day in 1896. On September 8, 1901, she caught fire at about three in the morning while at her slip at the foot of Washington Street. Although her cabin and upper works were nearly destroyed, she was rebuilt during the winter and returned to service.