Bloomfield Blossoms: p. 128-129 Creator
Smith, Kay, 1925- Institution
Bloomfield Township Public Library Subject
Cranbrook (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) -- History Subject
Booth, Geoge G. (George Gough), b. 1864 Subject
Bloomfield Hills (Michigan) -- History Item Number
part of 'Bloomfield Blossoms' by Kay Smith Type
text, image Format
MORE OF CRANBROOK: THE MEETING HOUSE
The image of Cranbrook rightfully dominates Bloomfield
Hills. Not only is it the center of cultural and educational
life in the area, it's the symbol of Bloomfield around the
world. The work of artists from 50 countries has gone into
its harmonious beauty.
It really began as a place of worship.
George and Ellen Scripps Booth bought the 300-acre
estate in 1904 and in the summer of 1905 Mr. Booth had
a large tent erected on the hill on the north side of Lone
Pine Road, opposite where Christ Church stands today.
Services were held in various houses and buildings around
the estate until in 1918 Mr. Booth's great desire to have
the church message reach "the non-church-going people
of this district" culminated in the building of the Meeting
House. The building served many purposes. Often the
same people who attended a movie there Saturday evening
were back Sunday morning for church service, conducted
many times by Mr. Booth himself or his father Henry
The house today is part of Brookside School. The
Cranbrook community includes three divisions: The Cran-
brook Academy of Art, with its museum; Cranbrook
Institute of Science with its nature center; and the
Cranbrook schools-Kingswood, Cranbrook and Brookside.
Christ Church, Cranbrook, is affiliated.